Tired of store bought tomato sauce? So are we! Freshen up your next pasta dish with this incredibly easy and delicious organic garlicky tomato sauce! This recipe is simple and easy and yields about 750ml but feel free to double or triple the batch!
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 3 hours
- 1 28 fl oz tin of organic plum tomatoes
- 1 organic red onion (peeled and sliced)
- 1 head of organic garlic (peeled and minced fine)
- 1/2 6 oz tin of tomato paste
- 3 tbsp of organic sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp of organic balsamic vinegar
- S & P
PRE FLIGHT CHECK!
- Heavy bottomed sauce pot
To make the sauce:
- On medium heat, add your sunflower oil and sweat down your sliced red onion in a heavy bottomed sauce pot until the onions are translucent
- When the onions have become translucent add the minced garlic and cook on medium low heat for 1-2 minutes, careful not to burn!
- Add in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stir every 15 seconds
- Add the balsamic vinegar and scrap the bottom of the pot to loosen any stuck bits
- Now add your tin of tomatoes and with the back of spoon gently break the whole tomatoes against the inside of the pot
- Bring the sauce up to a boil, then turn down to a low heat and let simmer and gently bubble for 2.5 hours
- Once the sauce has had time to cook, remove from heat and blender until smooth
- Adjust the seasoning of the sauce with salt and pepper and if needed, more balsamic vinegar
- Cool the sauce down in an ice bath in the sink
- Store in small containers or mason jars and use when needed.
I love using this tomato sauce in a nice pasta or served underneath a crispy chicken leg! YUM!